Sunday, October 6, 2013

Socratic Circle Discussion

 Discussions
      Socratic circle discussions allowed more thinking about the Scientific Methods Worksheet 2:  Proportional Reasoning.  In the beginning, I did have trouble with determining what happens if a number is doubled or halved.   For example:


11.  Let y=a/(bx^2), describe how y will change
      a.  Double a, keeping b and x constant.

     I was not sure how to approach the question.  My first decision was to plug in numbers, and  my first answer was y will increase.  I learned it is important to be specific, for increasing can mean multiplication or addition.  After the socratic discussions, I learned that y will double.  It is important to be specific and clear.

Key Terms to know: (definitions decided by the class)
Direct:  when x increases, then y increases or when x decreases, then y decreases.
Indirect:  not direct
Inverse:  when x decreases, y increases or when x increases, y decreases.
Proportional:  slope is constant and has to go through the origin.  

Website to further understanding:


Inverse
Direct 
Indirect
Proportional

2 comments:

  1. The extra site was really helpful Paige! The examples were awesome. I love your blog!!

    shirleynotscience.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete