Sunday, November 24, 2013

Reflection

     I was thinking, and I was right about to go to bed.  I am exhausted.  I actually went running today for an entire hour.  (I have not went on a quality run in a month)  I am sore.  I want a cookie since Shirley mentioned one in her blog post that I saw in my notifications.  And I want to sleep.  However, something has been bugging me just a bit.  I am just going to go on a rant about classroom discussions.
     First of all, I am just going to be honest.  I am tired of physics.  I am tired of dominant voices, people holding me back or going too fast, and an hour long discussion over nothing.  I get the material before I walk in the door.  Then, right before my eyes, my entire mind gets wiped out from the face of the earth, and I am at a completely empty slate.  I have no idea what is going on.  There are declarative statements, I do not know whats right from whats wrong, who to believe, or what to do.  I get completely confused.  Then, I have to go back home, do some more online searching, and figure it out for myself.  For me, I feel the material we are learning is from 8th grade.  I feel like it is all review still.  Sure, I did get a b+ in the class.  And why did I get that grade?  Because I did not write the exact words "For every" or I used the variables x and y.  It is not that I do not understand, it is just I find class a complete waste of time.
     It is white board after white board every single class.   Some people are completely confused, but others are completely confident their write and guide the class asking "Does everyone get it? Okay, lets move on"  I don't feel like we should have a leader.  I think a problem with these discussions is everyone works at a different pace.  The problem with not a formal teacher is we can not know what exactly they need help on in a group discussion. I know I was sitting next to someone who asked a question, and the class just did not answer it and talked about something else.  She said that they completely avoided her question.  She is loss, and others are completely on top of it all and know it.  There is a large spacing between these groups and this is a huge problem.  This is the problem between student teaching and a teacher teaching.  I think a formal teaching session to review can and would be beneficial.  
     To wrap this post all up, (get my Christmas reference?  Too early?) I do have an interest in physics.  If I did not, I would not be blogging again the second time this week at 9:30 at night.  It is just I feel like the class should have a group reflection sometime next class because I think we need collaboration and a reflection to see what we can improve on as a whole.  

Read my last post to get the picture below! It is actually kinda funny.

I just thought this picture was funny.  Okay.  I am sorry. Bye.
     

2 comments:

  1. Paige, I completely understand your frustrations and I agree with you. Personally I think to solve the problems we are having in class we should approach the class before we begin white board discussions to establish how they should be conducted. I like how you incorporate how you feel about topics and the classroom environment into your blogs. Your physics jokes are your trademarks by the way!

    ReplyDelete