Friday, November 15, 2013

Reflection/ question #3

     I am sitting at the kitchen table with calculators, pencils, papers, and binders scattered everywhere (perks of being a triplet).  It is about 67 degrees. Refreshing, but not really, as it is only 4pm on a Friday night, already in my pajamas, again writing another blog post.  The life style.  However, I did realize, and as commented by a fellow blogger, I should try to combine a reflection and a lesson.  That is my goal for today.  I also have some questions for anyone willing to answer about group discussions and how I can improve.  If you want to get to the point and skip all the serious physics and the complaining and the reflecting... oh and the rambling if you have not noticed, scroll to the bottom of this post.  It would be awesome if you could read the whole thing.  Well if you want.  It is not like I would ever find out... or will I??
     Lets cut to the chase.  First of all, I would like to talk about question 3.  The problem gave about 8-10 coordinate points of a person rollerblading, plot the points, and then ask a series of questions regarding the graph.  The first part to understanding this question is to be able to read the graph.  I remember this lesson very clearly from 8th grade.  I can understand position-time graphs.  Here is a video describing how to convert from position-time graphs to velocity-time graphs.  It uses a pretty cute squirrel as an example.

     That is a very important topic in the class right now.  It is important to note what in each graph means the change in direction, staying still, and increasing or decreasing speed. 
     The last topic I would like to focus on is a reflection.  Today the class started another group discussion and I thought the class as a whole progressed more.  However, I was probably the only one who did not speak.  I speak with my table when we go over a worksheet or something, but in class discussions, I just don't know what to ask or say.  It is not that I am afraid to say something or am nervous.  I am comfortable around the class now, but I feel like discussions are very repetitive and people dominate.  It is not a lot, but for example, someone needed help understanding something.  There was person A and B.  B was starting to help the student who needed clarification.  A decided that they should be the one to explain, and shushed the other person.  Now, I find that trying to take control, especially since person A spoke a lot and person B did not.  This is not just one example, but it happens many times. 
      Also, I feel like everything repetitive.  For example, we were trying to decide if we can run a line through the points, or would it be wrong since the speed could increase between points.  The class was probably making scenarios on what happened, but it really did not further enhance the conversation in any way.  It was a waste of time.  If we bring up a new idea, and it makes sense to me, I have no reasons to argue about it.  I just find the conversations don't really help me.  I feel like I know all of this learning material from 8th grade science or learning it myself.  So here are my questions:
  1. What do I need to do to actually start participating in class discussions?
  2. How should the class address the people dominating the discussion?
  3. Why are we having an hour long group discussion when it really isn't necessary?

1 comment:

  1. I think you have already answered your own question. You see a problem. Work to correct it. Maybe we need a new sheriff in town?

    ReplyDelete